Nellie McClung School Council Executive – 2016/17:
Co-Chairs: Danae P.
Vice-Chair: Firoz K.
Treasurer: Barin R.
Secretary: Peggy M.
Education Association Liaison: Nicole L.
Members at Large: Danielle K. & Jody G.
Key Communicator: <Vacant> *Anjli A. (Webpage manager)
Read more about these positions here
Every CBE school community is required to establish a school council. Working in collaboration with the principal and school community, school councils can help foster a supportive learning environment and create valuable opportunities for students to reach their full potential.
School councils perform an important advisory role at schools. They help ensure the parent and community perspective is represented in school decision-making. In addition, school councils share information about the school with the community.
The actions of the school council must reflect the expectations and beliefs of the school community. School council functions include:
- helping to ensure students have the opportunity to meet the standards of education established by Alberta Education
- assisting in ensuring that the fiscal management of the school meets requirements
- advising the principal and the Board of Trustees on school matters
- performing any duty or function delegated by the Board of Trustees
- sharing ideas and information with other school councils and provincial organizations
- communicating information to the school community and other school councils
- setting policies or creating by-laws that relate to the operations of school council, including budget, fundraising, meeting procedures and more